Teachers do not have to pay to use Eli. Students pay for Eli subscriptions, which allow them to enroll in courses and participate in writing and review tasks, but teachers can create and manage their courses for free.
Teachers can create their courses from the Eli for Teachers tab on the Eli Dashboard. Creating a course requires a verified email address, but that is the only prerequisite (if your email hasn’t been verified, you can do so in Account Settings). Once your email address has been validated, click the Create a Course button.
On the Create Eli Course page, you will be asked to enter:
- Course Title – this is the name of your course (e.g. “Intro to Composition” or “AP English 12″)
- Course Number – this is the number or section of the course (e.g. “WRA 110-002″ or “4th Hour”). This field is particularly important for instructors who teach multiple sections of the same course and helps differentiate one course from another.
- Start Date – the day on which you want your course to begin. This will be the first day that your students will be able to participate in your course.
- End Date – the day on which you want your course to end. After this date, students will no longer be able to participate in your course, though they will be able to view all of their past work.
- Time Zone – knowing your time zone is particularly important in relation to due dates for assignments.
All of these fields are required. Once you have completed the form, click on Create Course. This will take you to your Course Page for the course you just created.